View Single Post
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Shanksy Shanksy is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1
Red face Buying a house with no Planning Permission or Building regs for extension


I am looking for a bit of help. We are in the process of buying a house that has had an extension (single storey flat roof) and a garage converted to a reception room. We have discovered that there may not have been any planning permission or building control on either the change of use of the garage or the small single storey extension. Having discussed this with the solicitor we are being advised to take out some indemnity insurance.

The help I need is:
1) Should I take out the indemnity insurance? What does this cover? and how much would I expect to pay?
2) Should I request that the Seller informs Planning and Building Control and applies for the retrospective permissions etc?
3) Should I take the Indemnity Insurance and then wish to sell the property does the indemnity insurance pass to the purchasers?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Reply With Quote