View Single Post
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2009, 09:58 AM
JustinN JustinN is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tenterden, Kent
Posts: 279
Default Re: Buying a house with no Planning Permission or Building regs for extension

As the extension was built so long ago, it is unlikely that the breach of building regulations would have been enforced and, if you were satisfied with the physical aspects of the work the appropriate response would have been to arrange indemnity insurance against the small risk of enforcement action being taken. Unfortunately, by alerting the council to the breach, you have probably lost the option of arranging indemnity insurance

One of the things conveyancing solicitors should do (and must do, to comply with the CML Lenders' Handbook) is to check that all necessary permissions and consents are in place and complied with, arranging indemnity insurance, where appropriate, to cover any problems. For a conveyancing solicitor to say this is not within his or her field of expertise is ... surprising - it is bread and butter work
This is based on my experience as a conveyancing solicitor in England, but I do not accept liability for information I give in this forum
Reply With Quote