The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > Property Forums > Home Improvement

Home Improvement Redecorating and improving property either after buying, or ready to sell.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-07-2011, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Adding the most value

brings a whole new meaning to priced to sell
Old 10-08-2011, 08:35 PM

I agree smart home technologies are just an indulgence and maybe works for over paid luxury flats for certain sorts of high flying business men/women that want that easy move in straight away glamorous living, and will look good but overall to add value all depends on the area of course but to add value to any house as you can always get the location is to create more space i.e converting the loft also making sure that the kitchen is a focal point, makeing use of small rooms by knocking down walls to open up the area and also by making sure that the bathroom is of a suffcient size to complimetn and fit in with how many people will be living int he house..
Old 17-09-2012, 06:09 PM

I am not sure I completely agree with the ceiling price thing. I mean in most places then YES it definitely applies, but where we live in Brighton it definitely does not apply and here is why.. there are 2 universities here and a LOT of students and graduates, and by a lot I mean a ridiculous amount. Therefore generally it is a young town with a lot of shared houses because people cant afford to rent a 1 bed flat. This means there are a hell of a lot of buy to let landlords in this town. Its a haven for them. So even though you might price out families, you wont ever price out buy to let landlords because if they can turn those extra reception rooms into bedrooms and have 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or even 10 tenants, thats a worthwhile investment, even if its 200k above the ceiling price, it doesnt matter, if the house is fairly central, with multiple options for bedrooms then your golden. The fact is these types of houses just do not stay on the market in Brighton for more than a 2 or 3 months tops. Ceiling prices dont really exist here. Other cities I have heard have the same high property/high student count include guildford, oxford, cambridge, central london so you really cant go wrong there. The demand for housing far outweighs the number of places on the market. The key is to always have in the back of your mind "could i sell this to a landlord? would they need to do much work i.e putting up walls to create more bedrooms, how many bedrooms could they have? etc" The other option is when you move you can keep it as a rental investment for yourself if you can afford it.
Old 13-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Property Forums

I agree, traditional home improvements such as new double glazing, kitchen, bathroom etc will add value as these are long term investments and potential buyers will see this as one thing less to worry about in the future.