The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > Property Forums > Home Improvement

Home Improvement Redecorating and improving property either after buying, or ready to sell.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-05-2011, 04:50 PM

Default Adding the most value

One of the best ways to add value to your property is to look at installing some Smart Home Technologies. There are numerous companies out there that are offering this. The one I've used is called "Your Smart Home". They offer a free home survey and they also have a webshop, for those wishing to DIY!
Old 20-06-2011, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Adding the most value

Hi, sorry I wouldn't agree. Adding self-indulgent technology adds almost no value to a property whatsoever.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:08 AM

With property prices continuing to rise, many homeowners are deciding to stay put rather than move. Location is the most important factor in deciding the value of your property.

Here are some ideas of improvements that can increase your property value.
1. 1. Convert your loft.
2. 2.Add an extension
3. 3.Improve central heating
Old 12-07-2011, 11:21 AM

I would agree a loft conversion would add the most value.

As I have said in other posts, you shoudl only extend or improve if you would appreciate the benefit. It shoudl not be entirely about adding value or making money. The link has more.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:58 PM

I think a big factor to remember is the ceiling price of properties in that street/area. Loft conversions and extensions are all very well and good and will undoubtedly add value to the property, but if it takes the value of that property above the ceiling price, then you could be left with a very nice but unsellable house at the end of the day.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:35 PM

If you want to add real value to your home then as said in the above post check out your area, Are you going to gain in the long run is the area up and comming because if prices are rising in your area what is the point in doing anything,

Big winners are

loft conversions--if worthwhile take into account of the cost of works and your return on investement

Extentions- but only if done right- is the extension going to make a big change to the house without breaking the ceiling price.

If you have no driveway then a good way to go is to get permission from local gov to turn your font garden into someware to park your car.

Some times a well designed kitchen-bathroom can attract a small increase in value although its not always the case.

If you havent got one think about adding a en-suite.

sometimes you could just benefit from simply redecorating your house in and out is it appealing in its current state?

Things that are a waste of time

So called smart tech wont get you anything but they can be a sweatener for some, but no real value for you.it will cost more to have them installed.

If you have no centeral heating, well say for a 3 bed house, A boiler, all the rads, materials and labour is going to set you back around 2500 - 3500 will you get this back, i doubt it.

swimming pools, Just dont go there i know some one who had one built as part of a renovation project, well he lost a lot of money.

So in the end checkout your area what are the prices, can you acheive more and is it worthwhile.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:51 PM

I agree with the above,

En-suites and downstairs WC's are a big 'box ticker' in my book. Once you have lived in a house with both or either of these features, you will not want to live without them.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:32 PM

If you have a family even both of these are not enough i am totaly out numberd 3-1, to even get close to a bathroom is no easy task with 3 women well, one woman two girls, and i have two bathrooms and ensuite they are always "engaged"
Old 14-07-2011, 11:29 AM

Ah bathrooms. We have two (one each!) and three WC's.

I agree with Kevin, it is better to have the worst house is a good area than the best house in a bad area.

No property is unsellable just that you wont get all your improvement expenses back when you come to sell.
Old 14-07-2011, 12:48 PM

Good point, Unsellable was probably not the right word to use. The point being you would have to reduce the price to a point where you, like you have said, will not see any return on outlay on major, costly improvments.

I almost sound like I know what I am talking about...almost.

Kevin