The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > Property Forums > Buying Property Abroad

Buying Property Abroad Thnking of buying a house in Spain or somewhere else abroad? Post about your questions, answers, and experiences here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-09-2011, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Any good overseas markets?

This is a very interesting thread for me. I bought my first overseas property 10 years ago in France and it has done exceptionally well for me. During the last 2 years I've been starting to think about buying another one, and have been researching a few markets.

I like the idea of Spain for the sun (I'll also use it as a holiday home) but I'm still worried about the market over there and how much further it might fall given the continuing problems in the Eurozone. I was shocked to read that there are still over 700,000 properties sat empty or unfinished in Spain.

I'm all for buying at the bottom but this to me indicates that prices could fall quite a bit further yet.

I'm currently doing some research in to buying in the Caribbean and will post my findings here when I've reached a conclusion.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:10 AM

Has anyone else picked up on the French government's recent reform of CGT for second homes in France. Instead of tapered relief over 15 years, the qualifying period has been doubled to thirty years. I'm not sure how many people own, or intend to own, a holiday home for thirty years but it's unlikely to be many. This - together with changes to the double taxation rules for government service pensions - may well prompt a flurry of second homes on the market.
Old 19-01-2012, 07:37 AM

Why not Spain? The prices are better than ever!
Old 25-06-2012, 10:07 AM

We are seeing that some people from the UK who bought holiday homes here in Didim a few years ago are now needing to sell because of their financial situation in the UK. So the resale market offers some good opportunities, but there is a natural resistance from some to lower their prices to reflect present market conditions.
The market is anything but static, because the majority of our business is domestic and with Turks living abroad.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:07 PM

I live on the Costa Blanca in Spain and I agree with ozsubasi, I am seeing people from the UK who bought property here a few years ago are selling and returning back to the UK. So at present there some fantastic opportunities. I am contracted to work for an Estate Agent and have seen quite a few properties sold within the last couple of months. That could also be down to the fact the Paramount Theme Park is under construction in Murcia and due to open in 2015, so for investment purposes this is a good time to buy.

The best thing to do, is do your homework and decide what country followed by the region is best for you and your money.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:21 PM

For those who are thinking 'holiday home' or 'retirement home', the paradise island of
Sri Lanka is the opportunity right now. Low prices for land, building, materials, help, just about everything. The country is open for business and welcomes foreigners.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:56 AM

Thumbs up Overseas markets? Expats living in Nepal and really enjoy!

Hi folks,
actually I am surprised about how low profile Nepal is represented here!
In Nepal since over 2 decades our expat community is quite significant. The Land of the Gurkhas should be known best to Britishers.... well enough to have a closer look at it. Nepal is probably one of the most picturesque and naturally beautiful country in South Asia (at least if one loves mountains above all the beaches)

Politically the youngest republic on planet Earth may be confusing and chaotic to orderly Europeans or Americans but the huge variety of different ethnic and indigenous people of Nepal could not care less about those in the seats of power. Expats have always been here and been respected and have been a vital part of society. There is an attitude here of "Koi! Khe Garne?" This is probably the most charming phrase of a foreign language that exists. It is almost daily in use and says more than anything about the Nepalese Society. Translated it has a very diffuse meaning in English that is best be described as "Heck...What to Do?" (about it...about anything).

Ask your gardener, your neighbor, your Nepalese colleague, your taxi driver, your barber ANYTHING that seem to be questionable, simply wrong or terrible wrong...the answer is Koi! Khe Garne?
Nepal is that kind of country that leaves you only with two choices: "You love it and get addicted or you receive a fat culture shock and go on the run...never to come back again." Which of the two personalities are you? Visit Nepal once and find out!
Lately Nepal is getting more and more interesting for Foreign Direct Investment in the Hospitality and Tourism-Service Industry. The real estate market has opened up to the world and purchase of property has become easier for foreigners. First of all foreigners can own their own Nepalese (P) LTD without a Nepalese partner required. Such a foreign owned company can buy and sell real estate, industrial land, agriculture land, Motels,Hotels and Tourist resorts etc. Private foreigners can apply for retirement visas and own an apartment in Nepal. There is plenty for sale especially in Mid-Western Nepal in the tourism hub of Pokhara Valley. Many villas, hotels and guest houses await new owners. And why is that so? The reason is that just recently Immigration Laws of Great Britain allow retired Nepalese Gurkha Soldiers to settle with their families in England and Scotland. These retired soldiers belong to the Nepalese elite foreign currency earners because their pensions are paid by the Government of the UK and so they invested their wealth in real estate in the Tourism sector of Nepal. Its the best time to have a look into this market before our Chinese and Indian neighbors have snatched away the best objects. The time may be just now!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:10 PM

One of the best place to today buy a property is Mauritius. Mauritius is a small island nation in the Indian Ocean, east of Madagascar and mainland Africa. It has one of the strongest economies and one of the most stable democracies in Africa. It has one of the highest standards of living in Africa.
Foreigners can now buy property through one of the government's schemes including RES (Real Estate Scheme) which is the most profitable for investors. The interesting things with these schemes is that the government has set a limit amount to be built. Once these target has been reached no more property will be allowed to be build under these schemes. Therefore the foreigners who have bought these houses can resell them to other foreigners at a very very advantageous price.
Old 22-12-2014, 02:08 PM

I want to know in details about Home insurance
Old 18-03-2015, 09:00 AM

Perfect time to invest in a buy-to-let property in a landmark European city.