The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > Property Forums > Buying Property

Buying Property Discussions about buying a house, such as flats, detached homes, and other housing.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Sorry, dhep, as before - you send your customer service requirements to the customer service department.

The idea of sending these to the chairman, director, and area manager is ridiculous. Seriously.

Ensure you send a letter to the customer service dept for your area, then await a reply, and work on that.
Old 22-04-2008, 09:52 AM

We moved into our new Barratt house on the Ashdale estate in Kilmarnock on 29/01/07 and 16 months later we are still waiting on some items on the Pre-Move Inspection being sorted. A summary of some of our problems to date are:

1. Light switches incorrectly wired.
2. Sockets on the ring main incorrectly wired and we ended up with 2 radial circuits as opposed to a ring!!!
3. Poorly sealed shower tray which was repaired but has (in the last 3 hours) been found to be leaking again and has damaged our livingroom ceiling.
4. Broken cover on the incoming electrical supply.
5. Hundreds upon hundreds of nail pops on the plasterboard walls and ceilings.
6. Poor taped joints on the plasterboard resulting in most of the joints being clearly visible.
7. A joiner who came in to do repairs was shocked to discover that the plasterboards had been fitted with nails instead of screws and said that the standard throughout the site very poor and he was having to patch up most of the houses.
8. Exposed steel lintels above windows not painted or covered.
9. Poor fitting loft hatch.
10. Electrical cables run across the middle of the loft hatch.
11. Window facing damaged and falling off.
12. A joist has been installed too low and has left a large lump on our living room ceiling.
13. Holes in the wall under the stairs.
14. Every floor upstairs is creaking. They have had several attempts at repairing this but can't stop it re-occuring.
15. The landing floor has sunk and is uneven which means it is unsafe to put the ladders up to go into the loft.
16. Loose bannister.
17. The newel caps on the bannister were left with razor sharp edges and corners which resulted in several painful slashes to myself and the kids.
18. The back garden has NO drainage and is a swamp for several days after a heavy shower. We have had several dates for work to commence but they turn out to be empty promises.
19. A brick was missing from the garage which resulted in mice getting in.....but I got the little ********!

That is about it...apart from things like touching up the paintwork etc. Although to be fair they have done a few repairs quickly...replaced a damaged door, rewired the faulty light switch, replaced a faulty window.

The site sales agent is a waste of space and she wasn't happy when I refused to give her top marks in the first after sales survey.....They got absolutely slated in the second one. Now she doesn't want to know about any of the problems. The Site construction manager keeps saying yes to everything and does nothing. I have spoken to 2 of his bosses (who seem to change every 4-5 months) and they are pretty much the same. Where do I go from here??

Well last night we made an up to date list of the issues which are still outstanding (18 issues -- mostly minor, several major to us) and written a covering letter which will be handed to the sales agent and construction manager tomorrow. It will also be faxed and posted by recorded delivery to their West Scotland office. It gives them 7 days to reply in writing with a timescale of when the issues will be addressed. If they fail to do this then I will be meeting my solicitor to take it further. I am determined not to let them win. If need be I will speak to my neighbours who ALL have outstanding issues ranging from nail pops to fire doors which don't close, and see about taking Barratts to court to fix all our faults.

Summary: Don't buy Barratt and if you do then get all promises in writing.
Old 24-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Administrator

skilly, don't write to the sales mananger - they do sales, and the site manager supervises building work.

Send the letter to the Barratts customer care offices - details on their website.
Old 30-04-2008, 11:14 PM

Well it looks like the letter has worked.

This week I have had an inspection carried out and several small tasks have been addressed.

I've also had a long conversation with the site manager about things and it looks like we are on the road to getting things sorted.
Old 18-05-2008, 05:40 PM

It sounds a bit like the problem I am having with my car, similar sort of scenario but getting angry with the wrong people isn't going to help. People have hung up on me and I had major issues with the company but when I spoke to consumer direct they aided me on resolving my issues. They spoke on my behalf to the garage and although the issue has been running for over a month now, we have been offered a straight swap for a car of equal value and out of goodwill they are offering us a brand new car of equal value despite our car depreciating over 5000 in 5 months.

The moral of the story is not just complaining down the right channels, which I did, you should be actively exploiting your consumer rights and speaking with Citizen Advice and the likes of Consumer Direct regarding the issue, and if your case is big enough they will even act on your behalf.

Another thing worth mentioning is you should be taking photos of any damage, leakages and get a property survey done detailing the condition of the property. By having the evidence there you will find the channels you may not have already explored will understand better your situation and they will be more effective in dealing with any issues arising.
Old 22-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Property Forums

Anyone had any luck with this
Old 16-01-2009, 01:39 PM

Thumbs down Barratts B*g*ers

We are in the middle of dealing with these muppets.

Both myself and my fiance have spoken to and written to the customer services department.

Certain things they have come and repaired but most they have so far not bothered with. I have just today sent my 9th letter to them threatening further action if they do not hurry themselves up. Most of the faults previously mentioned on this forum we have had with our 2 bed apartment.

I am going to take them to court as the next stage as I know (working for a law firm) that I will win.

I will never buy a Barratts build again.
Old 16-01-2009, 05:10 PM

Unhappy

I bought a Barratt house about 10 years ago. The upstairs floor collapsed whilst I was on the loo, the partition wall in the bedroom was then left hanging. The house was only about 2 months old. They did repair it but it was bodged. My friend bought one at the same time, one of her water outlet pipes wasn't connected so the downstairs flooded on their first night. their flue pipe on their gas fire hadn't been conected, luckily they realised.
Old 19-03-2009, 04:27 AM

Default Plumbing (ahem!!) at Barratts

It is now 3 am and I am sat here waiting for my son the phone me.
Early in the evening he noticed water marks on his kitchen ceiling; these increased to water starting to seep down the walls, eventually coming into his ground floor flat through the extractor over his hob. The carpet in the adjoining bedroom and hall is now wet where the water has seeped down behind the plaster board walls.
The was no response from the flat upstairs so the Barratt Emergency number was contacted (the flat is 15 months old).
We were then passed on to another number which was supposed to be the emergency dept. of the Management company.....but wasn't. We were told Barratts will not force entry into any upstairs flat.
Eventually after endless time-wasting to-ing and fro-ing between Barratts and whoever the contact was that they gave us, it was agreed that we call an emergency plumber. Yes...they will call, provided the police are there to authorise break-in to the flat above.... but the police were busy (fair enough) and can't say when.
The plumber will not come until the police arrive....
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! In the meantime, the water continues to soak the flat.

EDIT: 4.10am. Police arrived and plumber found fault and rectified it.
It transpires that the water is coming from the TOP flat, through the empty middle flat!!
The reason: shoddy workmanship under the sink of the top floor flat.... a wrong fitting!!!!!!!
Both flats were unoccupied and required forced entry. Three flats have soaked floor coverings.
Oh yes! Barratts have taken a report and will open at 9.30am THIS morning.
Hope they got more sleep than we are doing.
Finally, this is just ONE of a whole catalogue of plumbing faults: to be fair - (* resorting to sarcasm* ),
- they did replace hall and bedroom carpets when it was water from the bathroom last time.
Before that, it was fortunate that the men were still on site when the drains blocked and water emptying from upstairs' washing machine ended up in my son's sink and on his kitchen floor.
Another tenant of the block of twelve flats has also had no end of plumbing related problems.
IN SHORT - Leeds Barratts... your contracted plumbers were USELESS!!
USELESS!!
Goodnight.

Last edited by Jen; 19-03-2009 at 05:15 AM. Reason: ..on-going saga..
Old 28-05-2009, 09:42 AM

Default Barratts / NHBC problems

I bought a 3 storey property in kent from Wards (now Barratts), we thought the upper floor to be a bit cold, but as we didnt really use the top level, and therefore turned down the heating, we thought that was the reason. Around Christmas time, we moved our 4 year old to one of the rooms on the upper floor, and therefore turned the heating up, and noticed it was still cold, and monitored the temperature (between 4 - 8 degrees lower than the level below). We then investigated further and found that the flat part of the ceiling in two of the rooms had no insulation at all, they had put approx 400mm where the access panel was in the third room, and any area that could be viewed from that room. They came out after a few phone calls and installed 200mm of insulation to the area that had none, whilst there, while they had the ceiling open, we queried the thickness of the celotex or similar to the sloping areas, and were told that that met the building reg's requirement at the time, so we requested that in writing. We finally received a reply after several requests, confirming that the 60mm insulation installed did meet the reg's at the time. The only problem is it is in fact only 50mm thick, a point they were aware of when it was measured and queried by their operatives and myself. The problem is that the property is 4.5 years old now, and there is no sign that Barratts will return to rectify the fault, even though it doesn't meet with building regulations, so any suggestions welcome on how to pursue this further, as the NHBC have said that thay are not intersested as it's outside the first 2 years for rectifying faults, let alone compensate us for 4 years of heating the surrounding area.

Last edited by b1970-1; 28-05-2009 at 09:46 AM.