The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > Property Forums > Buying Property

Buying Property Discussions about buying a house, such as flats, detached homes, and other housing.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2008, 10:48 PM

Angry Barratt homes Buyer beware

We moved into our Dream Townhouse in June in Cumbernauld, Glasgow and have experienced a whole host of serious problems, water penetration through ceilings,water coming through windows, doors not opening, wobbly bannisters, constant water penetration every time it rains in fact on one occasion we had 34 separate and serious issues and as yet still unresolved over a 6 month period !

Anyone intending to buy Barratt please be careful, also customer service is a paradox as we have found it non existent.

We wish we had thoroughly researched the brand as from many websites there are numerous articles about Barratt, bad press and poor workmanship being the prevailing features !

Can anyone recommend where we go from here ?
Old 07-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Administrator

If the property is less than 2 years old, your NHBC guarantee covers all finishing so Barratts must reasonably comply with all *written* complaints.

However, if the 2 years is already up, you're screwed.
Old 20-02-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
If the property is less than 2 years old, your NHBC guarantee covers all finishing so Barratts must reasonably comply with all *written* complaints.

Thanks for your information.
Old 27-02-2008, 12:43 AM

Default Beware of Buying Barratt !! - NHBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post

Exactly everyone out there ensure if you have a problem that it is recorded otherwise as Brian states two years and game over !! although with Barratt two years is not long as by this time they may have actually concluded my problems with my house !!!

ps contact ; dont get done get Dom; hopefully Barratt may get some free publicity soon....
Old 04-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Administrator

As in the other thread, new build properties commonly suffer snagging issues as they're called - but any national developer should correct these if provided in writing and before the 2 year period is up.

Leave it too late, though, and it's you who has to foot the bill.
Old 17-03-2008, 01:48 PM

Default Barratt repairs refusal

bought a barratt 3 story house on 17-12-07 it took us 6 months to buy it awe have had so many jobs they now refuse to come out in fact the site manager a squirrel called cyril put the phone down on my wife.
I wrote to the chairman but it was only passed to the people that we are having problems with I contacted nhbc but they have not replied we also have the cold floors downstairs, if anyone is still thinking of buying a barratt house at Idle in Bradford west Yorkshire get everything in writing the problem is most contact is by phone 'no record'!
We have been here 3 months and I am in the process of getting the work done then taking them to the Small Claims Court, then we will try to sell this place as I refuse to have to go through the courts just to get the warranty work done!

Last edited by brian; 18-03-2008 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Removed potential libel
Old 18-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Okay, first, let's avoid stating that a company lies - that's potential libel, thanks.

Just to also point out, I'm in a Barratt property, and there have certainly been issues - but I'd also like to point out that I have also had Barratt come out and fix up some cracks in the mortar, which they didn't actually have to do.

Overall, my impression of Barratt's customer service is very much improved.

A big pointer as well - if you do have customer service issue, don't talk to the site manager - contact the customer care dept of the appropriate company, ie, for Barratt's, find your nearest office:
Barratt Homes is a UK nationwide developer of new homes houses and apartments

My impression is that you must contact the customer care dept in writing stating problems, which will then be passed on to the site manager for correction.

Personally I wouldn't recommend calling the site manager - it's the customer care dept who answers directly to you, and the site manager answers directly to them.

2c.
Old 21-03-2008, 07:05 PM

Angry Barratt The Bullies

Do you work for barratts?

You obviously have not had many problems, when twice we have been blocked in after the site manager has cleared the builders vans a large cement mixer blocked us in for over TWO hours then yesterday three very large trenches were dug in the road and a load of tarmac dropped behind our car then the toad came up to me and laughed in my face!
Contact customer service! what do you think I have been doing since the day we moved in they did nothing so I contacted the chairman who's secretary passed it back to Leeds so no joy there I am in the process of having to pay for the work myself then I will take them to the Small Claims Court.
The fact is we are being singled out! everyone on this site is having problems but they are getting their repairs done!
I wonder how you would react to your car being damaged by the builders FOUR TIMES and barratts saying 'Nothing to do with US! The toad telling you to your face 'you will NOT get your jobs done, maybe you would shrug it off but for 240k I expect things right!
Old 24-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Administrator

dhep, if you're pushing your complaints at the site manager, and then at the chairman, then you are not sending your customer complaints to the right channels. Remember, you need to put your issues in writing - there's no point simply ringing someone, because they need a written format to reference to ensure the different points raised are dealt with.

Maybe the reason everyone else is having their repairs done is because they are writing to customer care, instead of phoning the chairman and the site manager?

I appreciate that you're not having a fun time of it, but you are making things worse for yourself by not using the customer care channels already provided for.

2c.
Old 28-03-2008, 06:13 PM

Default Barratt Complaints Again

Yes I have started at the site manager, he told me to contact him in the beginning, then customer service, then the head of complaints at Leeds, then the director at Leeds, then the area manager at York, then the chairman, for what use it did me as the chairman and area manager were 'away on business'! And both secretary's sent the complaints back to Leeds!
Now do you see why I am angry, I have also lodged a complaint with NHBC.