The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > Property Forums > Solicitors and Legal

Solicitors and Legal Legal issues and fees about buying/selling a property.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-03-2016, 12:19 AM

Default Brought house from hell

Hi I wonder if anyone can help. I brought my first house sept 2015 semi detached 4 bed property. First time buyer I had a good solicitor but the mortgage company made me change to one on there panel.

I never got to speak to the solicitor it was all done by email. I exchanged me and three kids moved in everything all good or so I I had a electrician out to talk about moving bits for a new kitchen. He did a inspection after finding issues and shut my electrics off stating they are too dangerous he stated its more than his jobs worth and cause of my kids would not leave any of it on. This electrician was not available to do work and advised me to get several quotes. Me and my children moved into temporary accommodation (at 500 quid a week). I got several electricians out for quotes to rewire my house which was coming in at 7000 due to me wanting ASAP and size of the house. My ex partner (a builder) was helping me and he spoke to a electrician and said if we rip the kitchen ceiling down then we could stop the destruction of upstairs is carpets etc..... The electrician said that would be great my ex partner pulled the kitchen ceiling down and stood there with his mouth open. The rsj holding up the whole of the back of the house extensions was installed incorrectly not supporting nothing. I contacted my solicitor asking for the planning permissions ( there is four extensions on my house ) I only had a copy of one which was done in 2007 which was the garage conversion. She stated the extensions was over 10 years old and she didn't need to get them. I them asked if I should of been informed about this and given the opportunity to get indemnity insurance. She said no.

Since buying this house I am in debt up to my eyeballs
Spent
5000 on boiler replacement the boiler installed was not big enough for size of house
4000 propping house up installing correct rsj replacing kitchen ceiling
7000 rewire
4000 replastering
4000 temporary accommodation
1000 redecoration

I'm sure there is more I've still need a kitchen at the moment I have two units and a sink I need carpets all of them got ruined in the rewire due to the electrician having to pull them up while we waited for rsj and we have had to move back in

After all that I need to know if anyone is liable for this do I have a case where do I start I have gone through the solicitors complaint procedure and got I need to know if I have a foot to stand on if I proceed to the financial ombudsman

Any help appreciated

Ps sorry new to this site sorry if not done it correctly
Old 17-07-2016, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Brought house from hell

Hello, I am very sorry to read your story! What you could have done (or maybe can still get advice) is to ring your local council Building/Planning Dept and tell them the story, they may be able to advise if: 1) Was planning permission given or Buidling Regs met and 2) What if anything can be done now if any were not followed. I am not confident you can legally do anything but it may be worth a phone call.
Old 17-07-2016, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Brought house from hell

Sorry I should have asked : did you have a survey done? depending on this I believe that these days (unlike years ago) Surveyors can be held accountable. Perhaps you should start there?