The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > Property Forums > Property Development

Property Development Discussions about renovation, modernisation, and otherwise developing a property for sale.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2015, 04:09 PM

Default Building a 1 bed flat and car port for 2 cars

Hello all,

I am fortunate in that I own an end of terrace property which I currently rent out, located within the largest plot of all the terraced houses in the block and as such, have a large rear garden and a detached garage to the right hand side of the property, along with another 10-15ft of excess land. As a result of this I've recently been toying with the idea of knocking down the garage and rebuilding a new 2 bed end of terrace property in its place.

Following initial investigation by my local planning department, they have confirmed that the land available and garden area is large enough for them to tentatively approve that a new end of terrace 2 bed house would be a feasible idea, but the stumbling block would be the need to supply 2 off road spaces, 1 for the existing property and 1 for the new build. This is due to planning rules of development in order to cut down on on street parking, which in reality I can fully understand.

As a result of this, I'm now thinking of sticking with the same plan of flattening the garage and build an extended off road car port for 2 spaces and look to build a 1 bed flat above. This will therefore cater for the requirement of 2 off road spaces and still allow space for access to the rear of the properties, along with private access to the flat above.

When looking at figures and quotes for the initial idea of a 2 bed end of terrace property, I was quoted between 80k-110k depending on fixtures and quality of finish, something that I was quite happy to be flexible with as I would be building it to rent out so wouldn;t be looking at a 'top spec' finish.

Seems as I only received the news from my planning department today, I've not had a chance to speak to people about this idea so was wondering if anyone had built a similar property themselves and anything I should be aware of and an estimate of build costs?

Many thanks in advance,
Barny