The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > Property Forums > Selling Property

Selling Property Discussions about selling a house, flat, or other home and dwelling.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-03-2012, 02:23 AM

Default Do I need an Energy Performance Certificate?

I'm buying-out the family home from my brother's and sisters (parents deceased). I have lived in the family home all my life.

Do I (or the estate) still have to get an Energy Performance Certificate?
Seems pretty pointless given the circumstances.

Thanks
Old 15-03-2012, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Do I need an Energy Performance Certificate?

Whilst you don't need HIPS anymore, I believe you do require an energy performance certificate
Old 15-03-2012, 11:53 AM

It was previously the case that an EPC was only required where a property was advertised for sale, so private sales to family members / friends etc where advertising was not necessary did not require one.

Looking at the Direct.gov.uk website today this appears to have changed - the text now simply reads "An EPC is required when a building is constructed, rented or sold." so it would appear that you would need one.

You can check the regulations for yourself here - Energy Performance Certificates - what they are : Directgov - Home and community

If you are still unsure ask your local Trading Standards Office who are the enforcement authority for EPC regulations. If they say you don't need one get this in writing from them as the solicitors / conveyancers working on the sale and purchase may well ask to see the EPC during the course of their enquiries.

www.thomasdobner.co.uk
Old 15-03-2012, 02:36 PM

Thanks.
I'll try Trading Standards and report back when I get a definite answer.
Old 16-03-2012, 06:44 PM

Just an update:

When I emailed Trading Standards, I received an automated reply stating to contact Consumer Direct - which I did.

They sent me an email today stating :

"Given the circumstances it would most probably not be necessary to obtain an EPC"

I'll take that as a no (I don't need one) then.

Surprisingly, I also received a separate email from my local Trading Standards asking how long I've been at this house, and that they will reply with an answer asap.
Old 16-03-2012, 10:19 PM

Solicitors don't like vague phrases like "most probably not" and if you show this email to the purchaser's solicitor / conveyancer I would think that they are unlikely to accept it as firm assurance that an EPC is not required.

I think you need to wait for the answer from Trading Standards because as far as I understand it they would be the adjudicating body in the event of any complaint / investigation into breaches of the EPC regulations. A definitive answer from them is likely to be your only way of convincing the solicitors that an EPC isn't required.

When I approached our local Trading Standards with an EPC question last year the answer was a few days in coming back but ultimately they were helpful, informative and definitive in their response.

www.thomasdobner.co.uk
Old 24-05-2012, 01:14 AM

Does an EPC have to feature in the property advert? Or merely be referred to as available?
I see them freqwuently in estate agents property details, but lots of online adverts for property don't show them or mention them.

Last edited by Breconeer; 24-05-2012 at 01:16 AM.