The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > Property Forums > Home Improvement

Home Improvement Redecorating and improving property either after buying, or ready to sell.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-09-2010, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Does Solar hot water heating improve your house price?

I've been thinking about installing solar based heating as well but right now none of the systems I've looked at are within the price-range I can afford so I'll probably wait a few more years...
Old 21-09-2010, 08:02 PM

Personally speaking I can't see that they would add much to the value of a house, if I was choosing between two identical houses bar one having solar I wouldn't consider bidding much more for that one. Financially I don't think they are a great investment but from the perspective of 'doing your bit' for the environment and setting a good example and so on for me I think they are worthwhile.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:40 PM

Great thread, I personally like solar power, as to whether it would be financially worth your while installing them is debatable.
On a lighter note think of the karmic points you would get for helping to save the planet
Old 09-04-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshuk View Post
Hi, I have just been given a quote to add solar hot water heating to our Victorian-built house. We have done the usual stuff like loft insulation and draft exclusion and are now looking at the next phase (cavity wall insulation is out due to the absence of cavities). Double glazing is also under investigation but likely to be very expensive and we may opt to rebuild bits of the house, so it's a longer-term project.

The financial argument is pretty finely balanced on the running costs: the oil saving versus the return on the 3,000 in a building society looks like somewhere in the 10 year region, so looking at a 5 year horizon it's still tough to argue that it's a good financial investment.

All the Solar companies say "it will add to the value of your house" but then they would, wouldn't they? While I want to believe it, the counter-argument is that in 5 years time there may well be superior systems on the market and in fact any buyers interested in solar would be ripping down what you've just put up, so it's a liability rather than an asset.

I wondered if any other forum users have been through this calculation. Or, better yet, what have estate agents told you about the difference to house value if you have fitted it?

Many thanks,

Martin.
Well Martin, I don't have any costings but my feeling is do any work on a property that improves your own comfort and finances.
Never something that may or may not increase value.
Firstly you don't know when you are likely to sell it, or perhaps you do.
Secondly you don't know if the improvements will still be flavour of the day in time to come.
Thirdly perceived value is, just that perceived in the eye of the beholder. Second guessing a third party is not the wisest way of spending money.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Property Forums

It seem like companies are trying to sell solar heater by using this, it might be price of home increase but not in proportion of solar heater price.
Old 17-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Property Forums

In my opinion, you will never see your investment returned, your looking at a good few k for the basic of installs yet you would be lucky to get a fraction of that back, especially with the property prices at the moment!
Old 19-04-2013, 08:09 AM

Well they save on heating costs on the one hand and make your roof look like something from a power station on the other.
As energy bills keep going up solar hot water and PV panels may add value to a home.
More likely a certain person, will prefer a house because of the green credentials, but it is unlikely that the installation cost can be fully added to the house value.