The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > Property Forums > Home Improvement

Home Improvement Redecorating and improving property either after buying, or ready to sell.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-02-2010, 08:41 AM

Default Does Solar hot water heating improve your house price?

Hi, I have just been given a quote to add solar hot water heating to our Victorian-built house. We have done the usual stuff like loft insulation and draft exclusion and are now looking at the next phase (cavity wall insulation is out due to the absence of cavities). Double glazing is also under investigation but likely to be very expensive and we may opt to rebuild bits of the house, so it's a longer-term project.

The financial argument is pretty finely balanced on the running costs: the oil saving versus the return on the 3,000 in a building society looks like somewhere in the 10 year region, so looking at a 5 year horizon it's still tough to argue that it's a good financial investment.

All the Solar companies say "it will add to the value of your house" but then they would, wouldn't they? While I want to believe it, the counter-argument is that in 5 years time there may well be superior systems on the market and in fact any buyers interested in solar would be ripping down what you've just put up, so it's a liability rather than an asset.

I wondered if any other forum users have been through this calculation. Or, better yet, what have estate agents told you about the difference to house value if you have fitted it?

Many thanks,

Martin.
Old 18-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Does Solar hot water heating improve your house price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshuk View Post
The financial argument is pretty finely balanced on the running costs: the oil saving versus the return on the 3,000 in a building society looks like somewhere in the 10 year region, so looking at a 5 year horizon it's still tough to argue that it's a good financial investment.
That's a very perceptive insight.

As for solar heating - there was a big bru-hah a few months ago after a claim was published that solar panels would take in the region of 50-100 years to pay for themselves.

The claim was obviously countered by the industry, but the point was made that solar heating systems may not be the most efficient way of making savings on heating.

I'm under the impression that around 60% of the heat inside a typical dwelling is lost via the windows, and the government has dictated that new installed windows should use heat-reflective glass.

Double glazing is well know as an insulator even before this, and along with central heating is pretty much expected in many properties these days, so you may find that is worth considering again.

2c.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:54 PM

The solar heating may improve the value of your home slightly but not to the same ratio as it's cost.
Most heat is lost through roof and walls, so loft and cavity insulation, but you said you already looked at that.
FYI.Heat loss
window10%
floor15%
Loft 25%
walls 35%
Draughts 15%
Old 05-03-2010, 10:27 AM

I've noticed that companies use the 'increasing value' line when trying to sell solar heating. I'm not sure if it does or it doesn't, but a few things to consider:

- Today solar panels are very efficient (even with the 'Flat panel' Vs. tubes debate!)

- They will make your boilers life span longer. You'll only need to switch it on to 'top up' the temperature of water in the winter.

It's probably a very handy selling point when trying to sell a house. when it comes down to it, solar panels at the moment are very efficient. Our customers who sell solar heating have had nothing but good feedback from their customers.

I'm still considering it.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:38 PM

It's a tricky one this. Obviously the companies that supply such heating will be pushing their products from all angles, not least of which will be added value to the property. The fact is though that as time goes on the conservation of fuel and power is becoming more and more of an issue, so from the added value point of view it can only get better, especially as energy prices get higher. IMHO having solar heating put in just to add value to the property doesn't work as the payback period is too long. Who knows, in twenty years time it might be an absolute necessity to have alternative energy sources in the home. With all the rainwater we've had recently maybe we should all be diverting it into streams through the garden and installing water turbines
Old 13-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Property Forums

Benefits of Solar Water Heating

Solar Water Heaters Work In Every Climate

Today's Solar hot water technologies can be operated efficiently and affordably in any climate. Systems are specifically designed for various climatic and geographical areas of the country.

Reduce Energy Costs

By installing a Solar water heating system, a typical household can meet 50 to 80 percent of their hot water needs. In southern climates, a SWH unit can meet nearly 100 percent of a household's hot water needs.

Proven Efficient Technology

Currently there are more than 300,000 Solar Water Heater units installed across the United States (excluding swimming pool applications) and because these systems have been proven efficient and reliable, the number of installations continues to grow by the thousands every year.

Improved Environment

Reduced demand for fossil fuels will improve the environment by reducing air and water pollution as well as the heat-trapping gases that cause global warming. And though they cost a little bit more up front to install, a carbon free Solar Water Heating system will save consumers money in the long run as the fuel source (the sun's energy) will always be free.

Types of Solar Water Heaters

There are two basic types of Solar Water Heaters: Passive Solar Water Heaters & Active Solar Water Heaters. Active systems utilize a circulating pump and some type of temperature control. Passive systems do not have any moving parts and rely on the basic principle of physics - that hot water rises & cold water falls.

Active systems all function basically the same; however, there are different configurations depending on your climate zone. Passive systems come in two basic types: Thermosyphon & Batch.

Old 20-07-2010, 12:25 AM

Hi all, I'd have to say I'm quite bias on the whole solar issue as I'm an installer, and yes they're not the cheapest thing your going to buy but then neither was the 50" lcd, to be superseaded by the plasma 2 years later, but let me ask you when you gas bill has tripled and the guy next door hasn't had his boiler running for 3,4,5 weeks or whatever because all the hot water his family needs has been generated by the sun and oh the extra cost of running a small circulating pump, not forgetting the enviromental issues why not help save the planet for your kids If not think of your pocket because I saved the best for last with the government proposing a feeding tarrif to start next year on Solar thermal like the P.V tarrif already in place.
Hope this helped some
Old 21-07-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeg123 View Post
- They will make your boilers life span longer. You'll only need to switch it on to 'top up' the temperature of water in the winter.
if you have solar water heating and then an current efficient boiler then the bills should be lower.
if you can afford it thats the main issue as it can be a good investment for then to save money in the future but only if you can afford a decent equipment.
Old 29-07-2010, 02:33 PM

I'd love to get solar if I could afford it. Seems like a great idea. Go for it!
Old 02-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Property Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal_10 View Post
Benefits of Solar Water Heating

Solar Water Heaters Work In Every Climate

Today's Solar hot water technologies can be operated efficiently and affordably in any climate. Systems are specifically designed for various climatic and geographical areas of the country.

Reduce Energy Costs

By installing a Solar water heating system, a typical household can meet 50 to 80 percent of their hot water needs. In southern climates, a SWH unit can meet nearly 100 percent of a household's hot water needs.

Proven Efficient Technology

Currently there are more than 300,000 Solar Water Heater units installed across the United States (excluding swimming pool applications) and because these systems have been proven efficient and reliable, the number of installations continues to grow by the thousands every year.

Improved Environment

Reduced demand for fossil fuels will improve the environment by reducing air and water pollution as well as the heat-trapping gases that cause global warming. And though they cost a little bit more up front to install, a carbon free Solar Water Heating system will save consumers money in the long run as the fuel source (the sun's energy) will always be free.

Types of Solar Water Heaters

There are two basic types of Solar Water Heaters: Passive Solar Water Heaters & Active Solar Water Heaters. Active systems utilize a circulating pump and some type of temperature control. Passive systems do not have any moving parts and rely on the basic principle of physics - that hot water rises & cold water falls.

Active systems all function basically the same; however, there are different configurations depending on your climate zone. Passive systems come in two basic types: Thermosyphon & Batch.

Hi,

I was in a mood of installing a solar heater and I feel passive solar heaters will be worth installing and it will even, be very cost effective.