The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > Property Forums > Solicitors and Legal

Solicitors and Legal Legal issues and fees about buying/selling a property.

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2016, 04:13 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1
Unhappy House extension and paperwork

We are in the process of buying a property with an extension to the side with the ground floor of the extension having the kitchen and above is the master bedroom and en-suite.

Our home buyers survey listed concerns about the extension and advised we ensure we check all paperwork regarding the extension for approvals and standards etc.

In various conversations with our conveyancer and the vendors estate agents we have found the following:
  • The extension was built by a previous owner in 1976
  • The vendor wasn't given any paperwork regarding the extension when he moved in a couple of years after the extension was built
  • We have found a document online for the house indicating planning permission was granted for the extension - but no other documents relating to the property
  • A builder has briefly looked at the extension for us and said it looks solid - but also said that even though it is pre-building regs there still should be paperwork indicating it was built safely

We contacted the council who just stated that their records don't go back that far and that it is pre-building regs. When asked what was in place before building regs the council lady just repeated that their records don't go back that far and hung up on us.

We are not sure how to proceed, should we expect paperwork confirming the extension is safe or walk away? - but we don't know what kind of paperwork existed before building regs. A lot of online suggestions seem to settle on getting indemnity insurance but as far as I can make out that just covers us in case the council turns up demanding we rip it down or upgrade it (which apparently wont happen any way due to the age of the extension).

As far as I can see we will need to get another survey - a buildings survey to confirm the structure and materials are all safe and solid and then get indemnity insurance - even though that sounds borderline useless. Of all these costs, what should we expect the vendor to pay? Or as I said before maybe we should walk away...
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Property Boards
Buying Property Selling Property Estate Agents Solicitors & Legal Builders & Developments
Property Development Home Improvements Buying Property Abroad

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.

Important Notice: does not provide professional advice on any aspect of buying, selling, developing or investing property. All posts are provided as lay opinions and not personal professional guidance. You should always seek a qualified professional for professional advice in relation to your personal circumstances. The forums are not monitored, and the site administrators cannot be held liable for the content of the forum. If you have any objection to any post on the forums, please either use the Report Post feature, or else Contact Us to ensure such content is properly dealt with. We are not responsible for third party links on the site.