The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > Property Forums > Mortgages


Mortgages Discussions on choosing a mortgages and mortgage options available.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 20-07-2017, 05:31 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1
Unhappy HSBC taking forever to approve mortgage, after initial approval...

Hi,

We had an offer accepted on a house at the start of the year and had been assured by the vendors it would be a quick sale, but due to several problems caused by them splitting up (and then apparently getting back together), including us having to get another lender as they reduced then increased the purchase price after the initial survey was done, it has dragged on since then.

It seemed everything was now fine, HSBC approved us for a mortgage and a survey was done by them which came back fine. We paid the deposit to our solicitors around a month ago and had hoped for completion at end of June. The vendors then asked to change this a few weeks before and so a date in July was agreed.

However, the vendors had removed a chimney breast in the kitchen when they were renovating the property, and it only came to light when they sent in their info for exchange that they did not have the relevant building regulations in place. The surveyor had stated that the removal was fine 'as long as they have the relevant paperwork' but they did not state that they do not. The vendors have indemnity insurance, which had been taken out to placate a previous buyer (that sale fell through last year, for the same reason we have now discovered) but had not informed us at any stage they did not have the regulations and had told us that everything was above board and all the paperwork was in place.

HSBC have now had this information for almost four weeks now and have still not made a decision as to whether this is acceptable. It had apparently gone back to the surveyor last week to check he feels it is still worth the same amount, I assume he did as we haven't heard otherwise, we have just been told it is back with the underwriters to make a decision. HSBC did say a decision would be made by end of day yesterday (Weds) but that came and went and it does not look like a decision has been made today either.

The vendor is now threatening to pull out due to the delay (caused by him!) if it is not sorted by Monday. We haven't spoken to HSBC ourselves, it is all being dealt with by our solicitors.

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced similar, and how long it took to come to a decision? Or if anyone knows of anything we can do, if we can contact HSBC ourselves etc? It is very frustrating as we moved out of our apartment in January when it sold and do not have another property lined up if this sale falls through. We are living with my parents as it was supposed to be such a quick sale, which isn't ideal, especially as we have a toddler!

Sorry this is so long, didn't want to miss out any details.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hsbc, mortgage, renovations, underwriters

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


 

» Property Boards
Buying Property Selling Property Estate Agents Solicitors & Legal Builders & Developments
Property Development Home Improvements Buying Property Abroad


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.

Important Notice: HomeMove.co.uk does not provide professional advice on any aspect of buying, selling, developing or investing property. All posts are provided as lay opinions and not personal professional guidance. You should always seek a qualified professional for professional advice in relation to your personal circumstances. The HomeMove.co.uk forums are not monitored, and the site administrators cannot be held liable for the content of the forum. If you have any objection to any post on the forums, please either use the Report Post feature, or else Contact Us to ensure such content is properly dealt with. We are not responsible for third party links on the site.