The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > Property Forums > Buying Property Abroad

Buying Property Abroad Thnking of buying a house in Spain or somewhere else abroad? Post about your questions, answers, and experiences here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-03-2012, 08:19 PM

Default Re: I want to invest in property, where is best

Have you considered Malta?

Over the past years the property market has been growing constantly. With the increase of low cost routes to/from Malta, making it easier for people to visit, and a number of companies setting offices in Malta, the letting and investment market has boomed. The number of people who buy for investment purposes is high encouraged by a healthy rental return of 4% - 5% as well as the overall capital appreciation of the property.
Old 16-04-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
According to the article 'Expats warn Britons not to buy property in Spain' in the Telegraph, Spain is not the best place at the moment.

I disagree with the statement, property sales are on the increase, plus with the new Paramount Theme Park set to open in Murcia, Costa Blanca in 2015, this will increase rental potential.. Now the best time to buy in Spain.
Old 25-06-2012, 09:55 AM

I am sure that Turkey is now rather pleased that its entry into the EC has not been completed. Exchange rates (GBP to TL) are still high after a year and it remains a good market for UK buyers.
Here in Didim house prices are lower than in the more established resorts because it is still developing. However, realistically I believe investors should be looking at the medium to long term because resale prices are not going to be good while there are so many new properties available. Those who bought perhaps 5 years ago and looking to sell now are doing well to get back what they paid, as apart from anything else the current exchange rate advantage for buyers is a disadvantage for sellers.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:44 PM

Thumbs up Re: I want to invest in property, where is best

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony jones View Post
Anywhere outside Eurozone, turkey seems popular at the moment
And so is Nepal! Naturally I love Nepal because I am a Nepali. We have a thriving Expat community here and they are all truly happy. Real Estate in tourism is a very good investment. Especially in the mid western trekking tourism hub of Pokhara. Almost half the Hotels, restaurants and food processing plants are for sale or rent. Not because business is bad...its the new Immigration Law of Great Britain that allowed Nepalese Ex Gurkha officers to settle in England and Scotland with their families. There wass a large exodus from their native land and that is Pokhara Valley and the Annapurna Range of Kaski and Lamjung District. They left behind their real estate luxury for sale. It's now the best time! Prices will sky rock after two years when the new regional international Airport Pokhara is opening (that is going under construction right now)
Old 12-09-2012, 11:58 AM

we bought a property in Cyprus about three years ago, and its depreciated in value massively. I would recommend staying away from there and buying elsewhere!

I agree with DStewart - keep your money in the UK - great time to buy as everything is cheap and your supporting your economy!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:01 PM

Hi there,

I am new the forum but would like to add something on the issue. Europe is currently a very volatile market. The offers might be enticing but you would have to wait a lot of time before it really gives to the returns that you are expecting. Property market is closely linked with the economy of the country that you are planning to buy the property in considering the scenario globally the best thing would be to wait and watch and invest in something that would provide you with a certainty of yielding positive results.
Old 18-10-2012, 07:13 AM

Looking at the ground realities is certainly the option to go with. Consult the local agents for better information. This is the best thing that you can do. Apart from that investment opportunities are correlated to your budget as well. So take this factors into consideration as well.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:20 AM

I've lived in Turkey for 5 years, and I do have a vested interest because I work for property company. Also my experience is limited to one location in Turkey so is not necessarily representative of the country as a whole.

I arrived just as the boom was ending Up until from 2004-2007 Brits were falling over themselves to buy here, but the credit crunch of 2007 stopped the boom and all the subsequent worldwide economic problems meant it hasn't restarted. But that isn't to say that businees isn't good.

I live and work in Didim, on the Aegean coast. It is true to say that the buyers from the UK kick-started Didim as a resort (it is more commonly known as Altinkum, which is the name of the beach area of the town).
But things have moved on, Didim has expanded rapidly and has attracted buyers from other countries but more notably from Turkish people, either from the big cities such as Istanbul and Ankara, or from Turkish expats living abroad in Germany, Holland, Belgium etc. Although the British presence remains significant, it has become diluted.

Price was and still is the main attraction for buyers from wherever. Although they have risen this is largely due to improved building standards rather than inflation. Altinkum-Didim still offers the lowest property prices of any Aegean resort.
Primarily this is because it is a work in progress ı.e. there are new developments going up constantly and the infrastructure doesn't keep pace with it. As a result power cuts are frequent, there are occasional interruptions to the water supply, and the internet connections are not reliable, as the utility companies struggle to keep up with developers. Roads are not properly surfaced until all the plots along it have been built on, so that side streets away from the central areas can be poor.

It will probably be another 5-10 years before the construction slows down appreciably, and from an investment point of view there is no short term return. The Turkish buyers recognize this, and although many homes are still being sold as holiday retreats, many are rented out or simply left empty.

During 2004-2007 it is fair to say that many UK buyers paid prices that were based on an expectation of continuing boom. But they have levelled out in the years since then, so that they are currently very realistic.
Old 14-01-2014, 10:58 AM
Property Forums

Shelton as you must know London is at no.1 in property investment business. So without any doubt your first choice should be London. Otherwise Germany is good as well. Good luck buddy!
Old 27-02-2014, 03:40 PM

What do you think about Poland ?