Home Move: property forum

Home Move: property forum (http://www.homemove.co.uk/forums/)
-   Buying Property Abroad (http://www.homemove.co.uk/forums/buying-property-abroad/)
-   -   I want to invest in property, where is best (http://www.homemove.co.uk/forums/i-want-to-invest-in-property-where-is-best-5231.html)

sheltonfarley 01-10-2011 02:04 PM

I want to invest in property, where is best

I am looking to invest in property, I am purely looking to make money on the property not use it for a holiday home, I have been looking at Dubai, Southern Cyprus.If anybody knows where the best places overseas to invest I would really appreciate some advice.

Thank you

Emma 24-11-2011 04:58 PM

Re: I want to invest in property, where is best

According to the article 'Expats warn Britons not to buy property in Spain' in the Telegraph, Spain is not the best place at the moment.

DStewart 25-11-2011 01:59 AM

Have you thought about investing here in UK? If you do not want to use it as a holiday home why not go for Buy to Let. I would consider your own doorstep before going abroad, but hey that's just me :)

Kitty123 25-11-2011 07:14 PM

There are some bargains to be had in Southern Cyprus now with many Brits wanting to return to the Uk in their old age to be near family.
With the stagnant market in the present economic climate properties are not selling easily so vendors are now dropping thier prices and even then many will accept offers well below the advertised price.
Also some developers have slashed prices by as much as 50% to pay their bank loans off.

brian 30-11-2011 02:36 PM

My personal feeling is that property prices across much of Europe have further to fall.

However, if you really want to have a good holiday home, best research would be done on the ground, ie, visiting these places and doing extensive research there.

Helen_M 29-12-2011 11:59 AM

IMHO Cyprus is not the best place for investment now. What about South of France?

Moby Jones 13-01-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DStewart (Post 15932)
Have you thought about investing here in UK? If you do not want to use it as a holiday home why not go for Buy to Let. I would consider your own doorstep before going abroad, but hey that's just me :)

You'll struggle to do better than a 5% return in the UK. Some student developments are currently returning upto 7% but thats hardly worth bothering with.

Overseas offers much better potential returns. :)

Moby Jones 13-01-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helen_M (Post 16125)
IMHO Cyprus is not the best place for investment now. What about South of France?

Why is Cyprus bad? And the south of France good?

It would be useful if you could offer facts and evidence to back up such statements rather than one wod sentences which offer little or nothing in value to the discussion.

Don't take that the wrong way, but facts and evidence are important if the thread is to be taken seriously.

jackie 05-03-2012 03:12 PM

I live in Dubai and the amrket has significantly corrected, so cheap(er) than it was, however the property cycle has not developed properly here yet, so I would not recommend it unless you know the place and can wait for any future increase indefinitely. Also be aware of desperate sellers out here, who will tell you anything, there is not a full valuation service here it tends to be on what the marketers think... also great variances from area to area in dubai.... I own quite a bit of property in the UK and have lived in the Middle East for 12 years and own nothing, that should speak volumes... alternative market, I would be selective in the UK where you understand the market potentially

tony jones 05-03-2012 03:25 PM

Anywhere outside Eurozone, turkey seems popular at the moment