The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > Property Forums > Buying Property

Buying Property Discussions about buying a house, such as flats, detached homes, and other housing.

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2017, 01:31 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1
Default Indemnity Insurance

We are nearing towards the completion of a property It seems we have hit a bit of a stumbling block - the vendor's solicitor has not been able to produce any planning / building reg certificates for the removal of an internal wall and for the kitchen extension. It was stated the work was completed before the seller had moved in and the work was potentially many years old. The vendors are offering to purchase an indemnity insurance however it seem this doesn't really cover us for much. Obviously we are concerned the lack of certificates devalues the house and this cannot be rectified by contacting the Council without nullifying the indemnity insurance.

I heard this is quite common but without the right certificates it seems we cannot guarantee the quality of the work. The Home buyers survey didn't identify any structural problems.

Given the above we are thinking of making a lower offer on the property, but would be grateful for your thoughts on this approach? It seems to be a bit of a loose loose situation.

Reply With Quote

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Property Boards
Buying Property Selling Property Estate Agents Solicitors & Legal Builders & Developments
Property Development Home Improvements Buying Property Abroad

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.

Important Notice: does not provide professional advice on any aspect of buying, selling, developing or investing property. All posts are provided as lay opinions and not personal professional guidance. You should always seek a qualified professional for professional advice in relation to your personal circumstances. The forums are not monitored, and the site administrators cannot be held liable for the content of the forum. If you have any objection to any post on the forums, please either use the Report Post feature, or else Contact Us to ensure such content is properly dealt with. We are not responsible for third party links on the site.