The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > Property Forums > Buying Property

Buying Property Discussions about buying a house, such as flats, detached homes, and other housing.

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 18-10-2009, 01:26 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1
Default Is survey needed for new build?


I am new to the forum.

(1) Should a Home buyer survey or a snag survey necessary for a new build flat?

(2) Should new build has to be structurally sound before it can be signed off by the buiding inspector? If this is the case, the home buyer survey probably not help much, am I correct?

(3) Is NHBS guarantees really help, if there is structural problem?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 22-10-2009, 11:42 AM
RCF RCF is offline
Property Forums
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 9

Hi, I don't think that you would need a full home buyer's survey on a new build. As you say, inspectors must sign off before completion and the issue of an NHBC or Zurich home build cert.
You will require a survey for mortgage purposes if you are raising finance for the purchase because the lender will want one no matter what and if there were any glaring signs of structural defects this surveyor would normally state that a full structural survey be done to check the property over before signing off on the mortgage.

if you're a cash buyer then it's up to you but I would suggest that you wouled be safe without a HBR, especially if it is a well known national building firm.

p.s. if you are mortgaing the property, be aware that most firms will only offer a lower LTV deal on new build flats. maximum of around 70%

i hope this helps
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 29-10-2009, 01:39 PM
brian's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,292

The building should be structurally sound, and the builder must correct any snagging issues within the first two years of completion. The NHBC protection will cover both.

However, after the first two years, the NHBC certificate will only cover structural issues to 10 years, and nothing else.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Property Boards
Buying Property Selling Property Estate Agents Solicitors & Legal Builders & Developments
Property Development Home Improvements Buying Property Abroad

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.

Important Notice: does not provide professional advice on any aspect of buying, selling, developing or investing property. All posts are provided as lay opinions and not personal professional guidance. You should always seek a qualified professional for professional advice in relation to your personal circumstances. The forums are not monitored, and the site administrators cannot be held liable for the content of the forum. If you have any objection to any post on the forums, please either use the Report Post feature, or else Contact Us to ensure such content is properly dealt with. We are not responsible for third party links on the site.