The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > Property Forums > Buying Property

Buying Property Discussions about buying a house, such as flats, detached homes, and other housing.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-10-2009, 12:26 AM

Default Is survey needed for new build?

Hi,

I am new to the forum.

(1) Should a Home buyer survey or a snag survey necessary for a new build flat?

(2) Should new build has to be structurally sound before it can be signed off by the buiding inspector? If this is the case, the home buyer survey probably not help much, am I correct?

(3) Is NHBS guarantees really help, if there is structural problem?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

awkl
Old 22-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Property Forums

Hi, I don't think that you would need a full home buyer's survey on a new build. As you say, inspectors must sign off before completion and the issue of an NHBC or Zurich home build cert.
You will require a survey for mortgage purposes if you are raising finance for the purchase because the lender will want one no matter what and if there were any glaring signs of structural defects this surveyor would normally state that a full structural survey be done to check the property over before signing off on the mortgage.

if you're a cash buyer then it's up to you but I would suggest that you wouled be safe without a HBR, especially if it is a well known national building firm.

p.s. if you are mortgaing the property, be aware that most firms will only offer a lower LTV deal on new build flats. maximum of around 70%

i hope this helps
Old 29-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Administrator

The building should be structurally sound, and the builder must correct any snagging issues within the first two years of completion. The NHBC protection will cover both.

However, after the first two years, the NHBC certificate will only cover structural issues to 10 years, and nothing else.