The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > Property Forums > Property Development

Property Development Discussions about renovation, modernisation, and otherwise developing a property for sale.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-06-2012, 01:37 PM

Default Kitchen/diner renovation advice

Hi there

I'm after a little advice on some potential renovation advice please...

We are looking at buying a new house, which needs a fair bit of work, and before we make any offer we are trying to understand what any renovation may cost.

But basically we want to renovate the kitchen and "lounge" to make a kitchen diner, also using the sun lounge space. Ideally we would move the wall between the dining room and kitchen too to extend the non open plan space. (but suspect this will be too much expense)

The builder we are thinking about going with use Howdens kitchens, the kitchen area is c.5m x 2.5m and we want to have an island fitted too.

Builder is coming to a 2nd viewing with us next week - but any advice before this would be great? And ballpark costs to expect? We would like oak wood tops, and middle range units. (we'll also need to buy new appliances too, but plan to do that online.)

i know it is a little like a length of string, but a rough idea is what i'm after!

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 18-06-2012, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Kitchen/diner renovation advice

Removing walls can be cheaper than you think, as long as they're not structural.

If you're buying a kitchen from Howdens I would try and get a trade account setup and buy direct. The prices shown in the catalogue can be up to 60% more than the trade price that your builder pays.

eg. If you pick a 10k kitchen, the builder agrees to supply it, buying it for 4k and putting 10k on your bill. That's 6k profit for him.

In their eyes these discounts are there's not yours and this is how they justify it.

I've been through this a few times now. Builders always seem to give the highest quotes. What I do now is hire a really good carpenter that fits kitchens and get other trades such as plumbers and electricians in on a day rate.

For a large sized kitchen the carpenter cost me 1,000 and the other trades 300. Hope this helps.
Old 26-08-2014, 12:44 AM
Property Forums

Default Re: Kitchen/diner renovation advice

hi sg0102, did the renovation of your kitchen went well? I want to see the result, can u pls post some pictures of it, if you don't mind.