Home Move: property forum

Home Move: property forum (http://www.homemove.co.uk/forums/)
-   Home Improvement (http://www.homemove.co.uk/forums/home-improvement/)
-   -   Mattresses ! (http://www.homemove.co.uk/forums/mattresses-3275.html)

Collinsc 22-05-2009 08:39 PM

Mattresses !

Hi all

Just bought a new flat - im buying a double bed for about 300 bur cant decide what mattress i require!

There are so many to choose from; sprung, firm, comfort, luxfirm, cushion top, memory foam.

The above start at 70, and then go up by about 15 each time.

I'll be sleeping alone - initially ;)

Any advice!?

Thanks

crystal_10 09-02-2010 06:22 AM

Re: Mattresses !

There are many types of mattresses available in the market and it is very difficult to choose a mattress. Everybody will not like a particular type of mattress, as the choice and tastes differ among people. Some people like a very light mattress while some like hard surface mattresses.
If you want to buy a mattress there are 4 important points to be kept in mind:
Soft or hard mattress: It is best to choose a mattress by lying down on it for a minute and giving it a test. Some people like a mattress that is little soft while others like very soft mattresses. Do not just check the brand name and buy a mattress, test and then buy.
Durability: The mattress should be very comfortable and the quality of the materials used should be very good, so that it can last for years.
Warranty: The competition in the mattress industry is picking up and there are companies which provide 20 years warranty, so buy a mattress which at least provides 10 years warranty.
Space: Buy the mattress according to the size of the bed. The measurements of beds are different, so buy the right ones. If you are single then buy a single mattress and if two people sleep then buy a double bed mattress so that you have enough space to sleep and roll on the bed.
It is very difficult to suggest a good mattress, as there are many opinions on each and every mattress available in the market. So, it is advised to judge the mattresses by keeping the above points in mind while buying a mattress.

Tim Deegan 31-03-2011 01:41 AM

It depends on a few factors:
  1. Your budget
  2. the type of base it is going on
  3. the level of support you want
The best bit of advice is to stay well away from big brands and big retailers. And instead shop on line from a retailer who gives a satisfaction guarantee.

benny12 12-04-2011 11:15 AM

I can not find an affordable mattress that is comfy! id say pay a lot more than you want too and you will have the comfort you want for many years to come

Select Estate Agents 28-04-2011 11:08 PM

I have a memory foam mattress and it's great! wouldnt be without it:)

Tim Deegan 29-04-2011 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benny12 (Post 13189)
I can not find an affordable mattress that is comfy! id say pay a lot more than you want too and you will have the comfort you want for many years to come

Sound like you are looking in the wrong place. It's easy to find good quality comfortable mattress for an affordable price if you know where to look.

Luke Owen 08-05-2011 02:53 PM

invest in the mattress and go for the tye you're used to, some of the new foam ones are painful to some

Tim Deegan 08-05-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Owen (Post 13467)
invest in the mattress and go for the tye you're used to, some of the new foam ones are painful to some

Unfortunately this would mean that most people just stick with open coil sprung mattresses, as that's what most people are used to as children.

Also Many people don't realise that their old mattress was worn out, unsupportive, or just unsuitable until they upgrade to a far superior mattress.

granmore 19-12-2011 04:16 PM

I've got a memory foam mattress at the moment but after sleeping on a soft mattress when I went on holiday to York, I absolutely want a soft one now! The best thing to do is go try some of them out at a bed shop to see which one is best for you =]

Tim Deegan 19-12-2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by granmore (Post 16095)
I've got a memory foam mattress at the moment but after sleeping on a soft mattress when I went on holiday to York, I absolutely want a soft one now! The best thing to do is go try some of them out at a bed shop to see which one is best for you =]

Unfortunately trying a mattress out in a shop can give you a false sense of security. All it does is give you a very rough idea, and does nothing to tell you what the mattress is like to sleep on. And if you choose the wrong one, then you can be stuck with it, as most shops won't take them back.

Sleeping on a mattress for a few nights (as you did on holiday), is the best way to decide what is suitable. So if you haven't found a mattress that you have slept on, and like, then make sure you buy from somewhere who gives a proper satisfaction guarantee, that allows you to unpack and sleep on the mattress. But most importantly, ask advice from the retailer.