The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > Property Forums > Home Improvement

Home Improvement Redecorating and improving property either after buying, or ready to sell.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2011, 10:41 AM

Default Recommending Architecture Direct

Hello there,

New to this forum but been following some really interesting posts for a while. Having worked on numerous property projects over the past few years, it seems that getting projects through planning permission never becomes any easier. Particularly when you're dealing with planners who only see things so 'literally'. I have endless frustration when working on projects that should go smoothly but planning authorities always seem to delay the process for really petty reasons. I have used various architects in the past and can name a handful of excellent architects. On our most recent development for a mid terrace loft conversion we have been using architecture direct. They helped us get through a larger project we completed last August for a house of ours to be split into two single dwellings. They are a breath of fresh air in terms of the customer service you receive. They had the plans completed for us within 3 days of completing the survey and we're now just awaiting a decision. The team is extremely lovely and helpful and their prices are very competitive. The nice thing is that they actually keep you updated on progress through weekly emails or phone calls which I've never had from other companies. I recommend getting their advice at the very leas
Old 18-08-2011, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Recommending Architecture Direct

EmmaJ, I'm glad to hear your experience with this company was pleasant. To give a balanced view to anyone reading this thread and considering using them I'm afraid I must reply that my experience was anything but pleasant.

I have been promised dates and plans that never came on time, I have had very little proactive action or communication from them. Communication is pretty much always in response to me getting fed up waiting and then calling or emailing them.

When they eventually produced plans and I paid they deducted the money twice from my account, as well as charged me a council application fee that they never paid to the council. This was months ago and despite numerous chasing up and failed promises and bounced cheques they have yet to refund me the overcharged money.

I most certainly would not recommend this company. I wish I'd done a bit more homework before getting involved with them in the first place.

Readers of both our inputs should make their own decision carefully.
Old 22-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Property Forums

You both are share good experience, this will be helpful to many of us for selecting a company. Best thing is you share planning of work before start this is very necessary for an architect.
Old 22-08-2011, 01:59 PM

Best to draw up your own plans then get someone to get them through Building control.

You dont need an Architect!