The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > Property Forums > Property Development

Property Development Discussions about renovation, modernisation, and otherwise developing a property for sale.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2014, 08:02 AM

Default Renovation advice

I'm new to this forum and new to the world of house renovation. I'd very much appreciate some general advice and guidance as I'm getting out of my depth.
I recently bought a 1920s house - attractive and in a good location - with the plan of doing some general renovation so that it would be a retirement home for me and my wife.
Those of you who are more experienced will give me an old fashioned look. I bought for cash and didn't do my homework or get a thorough enough survey. Needless to say I'm now finding significant problems: damp, roofing and aloft that's a mess.
All of this will use up the budget we'd allocated for new kitchen, redecoration etc.
I'm trying to project manage things myself but I seem to be getting bogged down - waiting for builders/quotes. I've had a couple of bad experiences with builders and am getting over-cautious and mistrustful. I'm also getting panicky and depressed as I watch my hard earned retirement cash drop into the house money pit.
Any advice? Do I just press on? Am I better off passing the whole thing over to a reputable (but probably expensive) building firm to undertake the renovation? Anyone had a similar experience?
Harold
Old 07-01-2015, 07:21 AM

Default Re: Renovation advice

Hi Harold,

Use a good reputable builder and tell them you will pay for work as it is
done instead of handing over all the cash upfront. Agree 3 or 4 stages and
at each time release some cash as that way you can specify work wise what
will be done at each stage. If the builder isn't dodgy they will take the work

Ged
Old 19-03-2015, 09:42 AM

Whatever you do, don’t start a remodel without a detailed floor plan. A lot of elements interact in a space — put them all on paper and you’ll catch problems before they are built. You may be able to build a functional space without a plan, but if you want a functional and beautiful space, hire a designer
Old 26-05-2015, 09:50 AM

Hey there, make e good plan, by starting with defining the budget that you can spend, of course it could vary but, you have yo get the main point. Then you should choose a good builder. Local one's and having a good reputation. Paying up front is not a good sign, from my experience. The professionals have insured the whole operation and do not want money for anything that they cannot explain or is not mandatory.