The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > Property Forums > Home Improvement

Home Improvement Redecorating and improving property either after buying, or ready to sell.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-07-2013, 07:31 PM

Smile Sprucing up for selling (a flat with cats!)

Hello!

This is my first post - I've been lurking for a little while

I'm going to be selling my property shortly and just wanted some tips.

When I bought the flat in Nov 2011, it was valued at £95k and when I had it revalued earlier this year it was £85k. Obviously some of this is to do with the market etc but I was wondering if anybody had any tips just to push it to it's absolute maximum potential?

I was thinking of simple things like painting all the walls to make it feel a bit fresher but that's about as far as I got in my thoughts!! The roof has just been done at fair expense so I don't know if that will make a difference or not.

Also, I have 2 cats and I wondered if anybody knows how to get rid of the smell of cat?! I don't notice it but when my friends and family come round they say it's quite strong. Not a horrible smell or anything but you can just smell 'cat' as soon as you walk in the door. The litter trays are always kept clean and because I can't smell it I can't understand what it is or how to get rid of it?!

The other thing I was hoping for some advice with is disguising or getting scratches out of wood. I have a window seat and large windowsill in my bedroom which is white painted wood but where the cats run around it at 1000mph with claws out, it looks quite tatty! Would white paint over the whole thing disguise it well enough or do any of you have any better ideas?

Sorry for the long post! Any other tips for achieving the highest potential valuation of a property would be appreciated

-ka51cal
Old 02-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Sprucing up for selling (a flat with cats!)

Certainly there's nothing wrong with a little makeover. After all, you want to set the best impression for a buyer.

However, the actual price itself is something you can do little to control, unfortunately. You could always list the property at a higher price than currently valued, but it depends on how fast you want to sell.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:41 AM

A little makeover will definitely get more profit from the property

Ged
Old 05-02-2015, 03:34 PM

Hi,

Looks like this was posted a while back but others may have the same issue. As estate agents dealing in both sales and lettings we are often asked this question. My advice for any house seller would be to freshen up the paint work (use neutral colours), and have carpets professionally cleaned (so cheap compared to new carpet and you will be surprised how well they come up). The carpet cleaning should sort out the smell of cats, just remember to hoover daily to keep it at bay. in regard to the claws, i have a cat and once a month i trim her nails, keeps the damage to a minimum! Best of luck!

Tags
painting, selling, valuation