The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > Property Forums > Selling Property

Selling Property Discussions about selling a house, flat, or other home and dwelling.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2016, 02:04 PM

Default Theft by person viewing house?

We are currently selling our house and viewings are being arranged through a local estate agent. We usually handle the viewings ourselves by doing a quick tour and then letting the person or people viewing "wander around" on their own a bit. I had a situation last week where I got the feeling that the person viewing seemed to be spending a long time in our bedroom (I was downstairs but could hear him walking about). After that viewing I thought some things may have gone missing. We had another yesterday morning where I think we may have lost something else.

I'm not sure what to do. The advice from the estate agent was to let people wander but I'm beginning to wonder now if that's sensible. Does anybody have any tips or thoughts?

Thanks
Old 12-02-2016, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Theft by person viewing house?

The agent should take this very seriously. Consider informing the police. Insist your agent accompanies all viewers and never leave them alone in a room.
01903 331 599.
Old 14-04-2016, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Theft by person viewing house?

Definitely advise the agent - apart from anything else, if they have stolen from other houses and their owners have reported back, it may provide enough evidence for the police and you may even get your items back.

I would agree with Jeff, that an unsupervised viewing in any room where there are either valuable or personal items is really NOT a good idea. If there is nothing much in the Utility room - and the cellar is empty - then perhaps fine - but if there are items of value make sure you guard them.

Most of your viewers will be honest but there are people who are opportunist thieves I'm afraid.

Please DO tell the estate agent