The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > General Forums > General Chat

General Chat General chat and discussions about anything.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-09-2017, 09:14 PM

Default Trouble selling house because of husband being stubborn

We're selling our house to relocate to another area, but are having problems doing so because of my husbands approach to it all and it's getting me down now and I need some advice from anyone else who has had a similar problem with their other half. 3 different estate agents now that we've been with have delisted the house and refused to sell for us so hubby is now trying to sell it himself. My hubby is basically interviewing people before they are allowed through the door to view, he asks them 3 questions and if the answer to any is yes he chases them (he asks 1. are you or anyone who would live in the house smokers? 2. are you dog owners? 3. are you or anyone who would live in the house queers?). I've tried so hard to make him see that he can't do this and it doesn't matter who we sell to as long as we sell and get a good price, estate agents tried too, but he just keeps saying things like "I'm not selling to evil" "the neighbours would never forgive us if we let evil into the street", "I'll burn it down before I'll sell to someone evil". If they do meet his criteria it then goes wrong at the end of the viewing as he expects them to make an instant on the spot decision, he says "so do you want it?" and if they don't say yes and make an offer there and then he gets angry and accuses them of being time wasters, he can't see that people will look at several properties and take time to make a decision, he just expects everyone to be like him, he doesn't mess about and doesn't think anyone else should, estate agents tried to reason with him but his response would be "BS, people know whether they want something or not, if they want it they make an offer, and if they don't want it they should be honest and say so and just FO". We've been trying now for 5 months to sell and the way it's going I don't think we'll ever sell. He's a lovely man really although you won't think so, he's just set in his ways, very old school and incredibly stubborn. I need a way to work around this but don't know what to do, any advice would be really appreciated.

« New User | - »