The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > Property Forums > Selling Property

Selling Property Discussions about selling a house, flat, or other home and dwelling.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011, 07:58 PM

Default What legal docs & certificates do I need to sell

Hi, I am advertising my property for sale privately. So far it has very good exposure and I have had several viewers around already. I just want to be organised and prepared for if and when I receive an offer.

Would someone please be good enough to advise me on the following:
  1. Are qualified conveyancing companies just as good and reliable to use as, time honoured, conveyancing solicitors when needing legal documents drawn up etc? What is the difference in their services?
  2. How much should I expect to be charged for either of these services? I am not in a chain and don't expect any complications to arise during the sale.
  3. What documents do I need to be able to produce for the smooth running of the sale?
  4. I am not able to produce a certificate for my gas boiler and central heating system which was installed 2 years ago - please, don't ask - I was duped and no, I cannot contact Corgi about this as the plumber has done a runner and I do not have any details on him whatsoever. The heating and boiler are working well, however. Can you please tell me if there is any way I can (legally) get around this? Can I get another plumber to check it out and issue a certificate and how much would that cost?
  5. Is there anything else needed that I can do myself rather than be charged for it by the conveyancers?
Thank you so much. I am on a serious budget and would therefore appreciate any help you can offer.

Obliged

Sapphira
Old 09-03-2011, 10:37 AM

Default Re: What legal docs & certificates do I need to sell

there is no real difference in practice between solicitors and licensed conveyancers. You need to find a practice you feel that you can trust and will guide you through the process.

A gas safety certificate forma gas Safe qualified engineer will certainly be a comfort factor for the buyers but their solicitor may well want a Building Regulation Indemnity Policy - these usually can be obtained for less than 100.

As far as documents are concerned, if you bought in the last 10 years your solicitor may well have either sent you a bundle of miscellaneous documents such as damp proofing guarantees and copy planning permissions etc when you bought, or told you that he has kept them for safe keeping. You will need to get that bundle to your new solicitor/conveyancer.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:19 PM

Default Re: What legal docs & certificates do I need to sell

Richard, thank you very much for your extremely helpful reply.

I also wandered onto your website and found that very helpful too!

Much obliged

Sapphira