The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > Property Forums > Selling Property

Selling Property Discussions about selling a house, flat, or other home and dwelling.

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4
Default What legal docs & certificates do I need to sell

Hi, I am advertising my property for sale privately. So far it has very good exposure and I have had several viewers around already. I just want to be organised and prepared for if and when I receive an offer.

Would someone please be good enough to advise me on the following:
  1. Are qualified conveyancing companies just as good and reliable to use as, time honoured, conveyancing solicitors when needing legal documents drawn up etc? What is the difference in their services?
  2. How much should I expect to be charged for either of these services? I am not in a chain and don't expect any complications to arise during the sale.
  3. What documents do I need to be able to produce for the smooth running of the sale?
  4. I am not able to produce a certificate for my gas boiler and central heating system which was installed 2 years ago - please, don't ask - I was duped and no, I cannot contact Corgi about this as the plumber has done a runner and I do not have any details on him whatsoever. The heating and boiler are working well, however. Can you please tell me if there is any way I can (legally) get around this? Can I get another plumber to check it out and issue a certificate and how much would that cost?
  5. Is there anything else needed that I can do myself rather than be charged for it by the conveyancers?
Thank you so much. I am on a serious budget and would therefore appreciate any help you can offer.


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 553
Default Re: What legal docs & certificates do I need to sell

there is no real difference in practice between solicitors and licensed conveyancers. You need to find a practice you feel that you can trust and will guide you through the process.

A gas safety certificate forma gas Safe qualified engineer will certainly be a comfort factor for the buyers but their solicitor may well want a Building Regulation Indemnity Policy - these usually can be obtained for less than £100.

As far as documents are concerned, if you bought in the last 10 years your solicitor may well have either sent you a bundle of miscellaneous documents such as damp proofing guarantees and copy planning permissions etc when you bought, or told you that he has kept them for safe keeping. You will need to get that bundle to your new solicitor/conveyancer.
As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4
Default Re: What legal docs & certificates do I need to sell

Richard, thank you very much for your extremely helpful reply.

I also wandered onto your website and found that very helpful too!

Much obliged

Reply With Quote

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Property Boards
Buying Property Selling Property Estate Agents Solicitors & Legal Builders & Developments
Property Development Home Improvements Buying Property Abroad

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.

Important Notice: does not provide professional advice on any aspect of buying, selling, developing or investing property. All posts are provided as lay opinions and not personal professional guidance. You should always seek a qualified professional for professional advice in relation to your personal circumstances. The forums are not monitored, and the site administrators cannot be held liable for the content of the forum. If you have any objection to any post on the forums, please either use the Report Post feature, or else Contact Us to ensure such content is properly dealt with. We are not responsible for third party links on the site.