The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > Property Forums > Property Development

Property Development Discussions about renovation, modernisation, and otherwise developing a property for sale.

View Poll Results: Which improvements are top priority when renovating a FTB property?
Double glazing 2 100.00%
Central heating 2 100.00%
New kitchen 1 50.00%
New bathroom 1 50.00%
Exterior (roof, repointing etc) 0 0%
Garden 1 50.00%
Carpets 1 50.00%
Fireplace 0 0%
Doors & woodwork 0 0%
Other (please post a comment!) 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-09-2011, 10:54 PM

Question Which improvements are worth doing?

Hi all, I've bought a run down house which I aim to do up slowly and eventually sell. In the current climate one of my big concerns is spending too much on improvements that won't add much value to the property. So I'd like to start a thread on which improvements really pay for themselves and which ones you think are a waste of time and money?

Specifically at the moment my dilemma is double glazing! The house has some upvc double glazing in about half of the windows. One of the downstairs wooden windows is warped and doesn't close, so will need replacing straight away. But do I pay for upvc double glazing or just put the cheapest wooden windows I can find? And is it worth shelling out for the other windows while I'm at it? How much difference does double glazing make when selling? Its not the best area and I reckon the ceiling price for this house will be around 120k.

I'd be very interested to read your opinions Thanks
Old 11-11-2011, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Which improvements are worth doing?

Hi flipper

Generally I would say double glazing is a must if you intend to sell (renting it out is another matter since you don't pay the utility bills).

The only issue is that you won't add any more value than you spend on them. So the real question is, do the other comparible properties in the street have double glazing or not?

www.FirstTimeBuyerGuru.com

Tags
development, improvements, renovation, selling