The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > Property Forums > Home Improvement

Home Improvement Redecorating and improving property either after buying, or ready to sell.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 03:34 PM

Default Re: wood or pvc windows

Hello there everyone, I've just actually registered onto this forum today. I started working for a company who I did a lot of research on before starting and actually.. from my research we genuinely have better priced products than any other company in the UK. So we'd be happy to provide a free quote for anyone, I know Emma you mentioned you were looking for windows.

In regards to the original message, our windows have 30 years warranty, so that should put your mind at ease somewhat. At the end of the day, you have nothing to lose by sending over plans and getting a quote.

Message me if you want more information, the link to our website is in my profile. Cheers everyone.
Old 16-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Property Forums

Wood windows can last long period of time if you take good care of it. Wood windows are applied with paint and water resistant substance, but the substance deteriorate when it is wet by rain. To prolong the life of your wood windows, I suggest that you apply water resistant substance and paint after some years or when you see that the paint is fading.
Old 17-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Property Forums

All I would say is, if you go for the wood option, make sure you keep up proper maintenance. We have had wood windows for 15 years, and re-varnishing every few years has not stopped them from rotting! Don't make the same mistake! You'll have to really keep on top of them and repair them as soon as you notice anything deterioting, to save yourself a larger job. One stitch in time saves nine!
Old 18-08-2012, 03:04 PM

Wood for presentation, UPVC for durability.
Old 27-08-2012, 05:23 PM

Like the most have mentioned before PVC for durability, obviously.
Downsides are these that you mentioned, they aren't prepared (not hard). Living in a farmhouse there is a chance that the glass might break - you have the change the whole thing from the hinges.
If you are a practical man going with wooden windows can be the right decision, because they are easier to repair, lute and etc.
Old 21-09-2012, 05:22 PM

PVC is durable, especially these days. You can get different coloured ones now, they don't have to be white. Also you can have leaded glass if you want to achieve a traditional look.

Timber windows are OK, but you will need to maintain them regularly.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:53 AM
Property Forums

My vote goes for wood, I think it will look good and adds much more beauty to the overall look of the house.
Old 30-11-2012, 12:35 PM

I prefer PVC windows, its cost effective thermal insulation, long life and easy maintenance.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:43 AM

I would definitely be buying PVC windows, not enough people really appreciate how durable they actually are!
Old 17-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Property Forums

If you want my opinion, I know its a farmhouse and traditional timber windows would keep within the style however I wouls day PVC simply because they will last longer and will retain more internal heat (also you can get them in timber style these days).