The UK's independent property information site

Go Back   Home Move: property forum > Property Forums > Home Improvement

Home Improvement Redecorating and improving property either after buying, or ready to sell.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-01-2009, 10:07 PM

Default wood or pvc windows

I live in an old farmhouse and need to replace the windows. Everyone goes for pvc these days but I intended to have mine made of timber, because I prefer the traditional approach.
The only thing that's put me off is that on one website they were saying that double glazed wooden windows start to deteriorate after 6 /8 years.
However, not a word was said about the downsides of pvc - e.g. 20/25 life, becoming brittle following exposure to sun, almost impossible to repair, not practical to recycle etc.etc.
Does anyone have personal experience of wooden double glazed windows which would help me make a decision.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 31-03-2009, 01:48 PM

I would go with PVC if you are looking for durability. I lived in a house with wooden windows and they we a nightmare, especially if they split in the winter.

But then again if you are looking for that rustic authentic look then wood would be better.
Old 31-03-2009, 02:59 PM

Many thanks Chris for your comment. I appreciate it.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:35 PM

Hi Geoff,
When i first looked into this i had a fairly rigid view that pvc windows couldn't possibly be a better option than timber. However, on studying this in more detail i found that the complete opposite is true!

Pvc windows are more durable and require less maintenance then wooden ones, and remarkably they are increasing becoming more environmentally friendly than wood due to the amount of recycled pvc they incorporate and energy they can retain within a building. As i understand it, the number of treatments applied to wood to keep it up to standard when used as a window means that at the end of its life it can only go into landfill.

Hope this helps,

John
Old 01-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Property Forums

Default Re: wood or pvc windows

Wood windows are better for the environment than PVC windows, a new WWF report has concluded. PVC windows were found to be less sustainable and more hazardous than wood in the report Window of opportunity: The environmental and economic benefits of specifying timber window frames.
Old 24-04-2011, 03:27 PM

Geoff - there is no doubt you are making the right decision
Old 24-04-2011, 04:09 PM

Geoff.
Wood windows made from properly selected timber will not break down after 6-8 years. Most timber window makers supply pre-painted products where the paint finish alone is guaranteed for 10 years. I have completed many projects where this is evident and recently wrote an article on one case study. While wood windows and doors will need some maintenance, with some care they will last a life-time, and more.
Old 23-05-2011, 01:25 PM

Hello!

Being employed in the Danish PVC industry for many years I would like to challange the post in which World Wildlife Fund is quoted. WWF says that PVC is less sustainable and contains hazardous substance and therefore wood windows should be a better choice.

During the last ten to twenty years the European PVC industry has been working hard on sustainable development. Hazardous substances have been replaced and collecting and recycling of waste is taking place to a bigger and bigger extend. Please see the website for the European PVC industry's voluntary commitment on sustainable development: Vinyl 2010.

When it comes to environmental issues I am convinced that PVC windows are not a bad choice at all compaired to wood windows. Today it might even be better.

Best regards
Ole Grondahl
Old 16-08-2011, 08:24 AM

I would suggest you to go for pvc windows if you want durability for long and other benefits.Me too have been using pvc windows since years.
Old 20-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Property Forums

If you are thinking to use of double glazed wooden windows, so this is a good option for your farmhouse. We can not decide the life of wooden timber that is about 6-8 year. The age of it also depend on quality and paint on wooden window. For environment point of view this is a best option.

But, now a days PVC is also using, manufacture companies are making more sustainable less hazardous PVC windows.